After reviewing the last version of the logo for Roots I noticed a few things that I was not exactly happy with that made it seem a bit all over the place. These parts where the aligning of the different elements (Image, Tagline and the angle of the R).
Giving the three stems of grass a flat base gives the logo a more put together feel and that the parts are in an order that makes sense. The ‘R’ was at an angle in the previous version for no real reason which made no sense, so changing this has made the letter seem more part the rest of the word. Then I wanted to keep the whole logo constrained with a single rectangular area, to stop it becoming awkward to use in designs. So I moved the tagline of the company up into the empty space by the R and the rest of the word.
The redesign of the logo meant I to rethink the designs for the touch points. I stripped back the design to a cleaner and easier on the eye design. Which I think works much better than the tacky pattern I had added on to everything.