Looking Back at Things Behind The Sun

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I’m not sure if there’s much I can add on to the post I did in December on what I actually think of the actual content (found here). It did improve my conference in my drawing ability and that I can draw in a number of different styles. One thing I do think this project helped with is the development of my own sense of style with my work in a subject (this can be seen within projects like the Penguin Book Cover for In Cold Blood) and I did manage to start to work with white space within the illustrations (just not the last one I did as I overworked that). This is something I have started to get better at in the second year in general as I am becoming more aware that the space around an element can be more beneficial to a design as it brings in the attention to what is important when communicating the message and does not overwhelm the viewer.

18834560_10211476371056897_2130205405_n
Selection of postcards I’ve collected in level 5

I did create the postcards at a later date as to when I initially finished the project I was sick to death of images of the sea and landscape (but mainly the sea). But then I ordered a batch of prints (in February/March) and then I had more ideas of what I could do with the images then them just being nice pictures I put online or in a photo album. I wanted there to be some sort of use for them and that’s how I came up with postcards. I always like to buy a postcard (or a few) when I visit somewhere (I have several from the Berlin trip in the second project for the field module) these span from amusing, just photos, to artwork. I wanted to create something current as the subject of the images could quite easily become stuffy and dull. I tried to do this with type and colour.

If I was to do this project again I would start off with more of a direction of what the final outcome would be rather than just doing. Do not get me wrong, as I discussed in the first overview blog post, I did enjoy creating, developing my drawing and photography skills. I needed a reason to be doing it. I always have needed a reason to learn how to use certain things for example in college I had no clue how to use photoshop but then in a self-directed project, I deiced I wanted to learn so I made it so my outcome would need to be compleated using Photoshop. This working towards a final thing has always been my motivation and especially one that is useful or serves a purpose.

Other Blog posts from things behind the sun:-
Advertisements

Branding- Final Brand Mark/Logo

After reviewing the last version of the logo for Roots I noticed a few things that I was not exactly happy with that made it seem a bit all over the place. These parts where the aligning of the different elements (Image, Tagline and the angle of the R).FINAL LOGO

Giving the three stems of grass a flat base gives the logo a more put together feel and that the parts are in an order that makes sense. The ‘R’ was at an angle in the previous version for no real reason which made no sense, so changing this has made the letter seem more part the rest of the word. Then I wanted to keep the whole logo constrained with a single rectangular area, to stop it becoming awkward to use in designs. So I moved the tagline of the company up into the empty space by the R and the rest of the word.

The redesign of the logo meant I to rethink the designs for the touch points. I stripped back the design to a cleaner and easier on the eye design. Which I think works much better than the tacky pattern I had added on to everything.

Image Optimisation -Workshop

In this workshop, we looked at how the quality of prints can change between types of CYMK prints. This is because there are a number of different variants of CYMK prints. One of the things that we talked about changing the quality of the colours printed is what type of paper that is used. Coated paper is brighter because the ink sits on the surface of the page and uncoated produces duller colours as it absorbs the ink more).  I had never heard of ICC (international colour Consortium) helps designers start to get things right when printing, But it makes that there are some guidelines. Colour profiles help us predict what the colours look like when printed. The guidelines are predicted to be seen at midday in London.

Using Adobe Bridge I set my Creative Cloud to work to the colour profiles that are of a most of the standard to printers in the EU  (Europe pre-press 3).

Every image has a colour cast (like a filter, Muddy, green, blue) To work on white as white and black is black, Trust the numbers. A serface white White has a minim of 5% of Cyan, Magenta and Blue in it. 5% is the smallest percent that can be printed whereas blacks are a combination of colours. Combined 320% in on coated paper before it gets messy whereas uncoated is less at 310%. Another type of white is specular white no ink colour of paper or screen.

I then had a go at optimising one of my own photos for print. I choose to do this with a photo I took in June of La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona as I took it in black and white and there’s a high contrast and I thought that this might show the change easier when comparing.

The right being the optimised image definitely has more detail in it that I never realised I had captured as before they were very much darkened. I am really impressed that this can add more to photos than I thought was there.