Updates/Changes to Editorial

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I think that adding the pink background has brought each spread together. Changing the images on the first and third spreads from photographs to hand drawn illustrations fit in more together than before. Even though these parts have improved the design somewhat there are still some parts that still were not too great and that needed improving up on. Theses being: I was still having trouble with the rag of the body text being way too all over the place (so this needed to be sorted out as well as the widows and orphans that I had previously forgotten to check for), this could be changed by increasing the size of my font as I decided to use a quite small font before I cut down the text to fit more in but I had not changed it back . Another element I need to improve on is that the third spread still seems way too similar in how I have gone about the layout as the second one, this could be because I have used the same amount of layers or that I have images that go across the two pages of the spread (I could do this by moving all the text on to one side and decreasing the number of columns and then just having  the call out surrounded by the laces on the other page). I also need to change silly things I forgot to do like, not use document bleeds when converting to PDF, not check m and n dashes and having the margins way too small.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

I changed these things about my design for the final one and it looked a lot better (even though know I have just noticed a couple of orphans that have slipped past me). I also changing the darker red details to white/a light blue as helped a lot as it breaks up the design a bit more as it was a bit too pink with the red as it was all I could focus on when looking at the page.

When I was happy with the design I took it to a professional printer. I was very much surprised at the high quality of the print compared to the university printers. It’s a crisp print and the colour is very rich and matches to the colours on screen. The prints were then trimmed down and bound ready for exhibition.

I am actually really happy with the final outcome of this project considering I had broken the wrist of my writing/drawing arm and was in a cast for four weeks of the project. Yes the illustrations aren’t as strong as they could have been but I managed to get them done and they are not too bad is a bonus. This considering the panic that I wouldn’t be able to get any work done is (well personally anyways) looking back an achievement in itself (at the the time I just wanted to get on with it).

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s