Layout Development

1. IDEA SKETCHES

I wanted to get some ideas down on paper to have a rough place to start from. This is helpful as instead of going in blind into inDesign I had some idea of where to start as just a blank inDesign document can be overwhelming. It helps with the setup of the pages as I decided to start off with three columns as I could do two blocks of text both over three columns or three blocks over two. This still leaves me with space to do call outs and have it go over two blocks of text.

idea 1

2. Getting all the text on the page

I then just decided to try and get all the information on an indesign document just to see how it fits in. I wanted the first double spread to just include  the headline subtitle and an image.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 22.37.44Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 22.38.24  I started off with  trying to fit in all of the text but there is way too much on the two double spreads so I cut down the word count to try and fit the body text in better and leave more space for images, call outs and negative space. The problem with trying to fit in more content in the design is that it can put off the viewer from taking their time to actually stop and read the article as it could seem daunting and too much to read.

Using negative space has always been something I have struggled with as I see a space and I just want to fill it with images or text. So I am trying in this project to be more aware of the space in the document and how effectively I can use this to make the design more accessible to the viewer. Also cramming the pages full limits what layouts that can be used and I am wanting to be a bit more playful with the design. This means I had to decrease the point size in the layout mock up above (being 12pt which is way too big to 9pt) this gave me a lot more space to play with.

Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 22.33.49Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 22.36.01

I thought that this layout (above) still had too much information on and that the layout was also extremely predictable. It was too much like a newspaper layout where the aim is just to bombard the viewer with information and I am aiming for more of a magazine style of layout. So I cut down the word count even more and this gave me more room again. Also increasing the number of columns, from 6 to 7,  in the pages helped with forcing me to create white space as I was keeping the text going only over two columns.

Moving the text block so that they were up the top of the page was useful as it showed me how much white space I actually had to work with.

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 00.45.22Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 00.45.45

I took a look at the imagery I created to see how this fitted into my layout and I was inspired by the prints I took of the treads of the bottom of converse and used them to create a path down the center of the page (this could possibly represent the journey Tom and all trans children go through.)  I place the body text to flow with the tread marks. On the second page I wanted to make sure the second spread with the body text on matched with the other spread so I kept the same amount of columns per body text.

Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 14.36.03Screen Shot 2016-05-11 at 14.33.41

3. First Double Spread

I wanted to create a sort of cover spread to create an introduction to the article. The spread was going to contain the headline subheading and an image.

Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 16.58.55

Originally I was going to have the left page a block colour and the text flushed to right of the page and the block of text. After seeing wstonewalllanguagehat it looked like printed it looked too much like the “some people are gay get over it,” campaign posters and I didn’t want to just replicate it as the two subjects are so closely linked together (LGBTQ+). Also when it was added in with the full page image it seemed like there was no link between the headline and the image and was just plonked there. Another problem with this design was that the leading of the text was too close together as the text blended into a singular shape and made it quite difficult to read.Screen Shot 2016-05-09 at 16.56.29Screen Shot 2016-04-29 at 22.37.18

I spread the image over the two pages and used the grain of the wooden floor as a background. This forced me to use the text in a white as it was the only colour that was readable on the textured background. Also to connect the headline to the callouts on the following pages I used a under layer of the same text in a different colour and aligned it slightly underneath and to the left to create a 3D effect.

I wasn’t a massive fan of the original pink I was using as when used in dueo-tone with the blue made it turn out purple and had a low contrast as it sort of blended together with each other.  The pink looks cheap in the first design and when I brought  the tone down to a lighter more peachy colour it improved the contrast then in turn the feel of the page in the other direction.

Screen Shot 2016-05-03 at 14.04.00

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s