As part of my individual response to the Field module, which focused on the Future Generations Act, I was to create an A2 size poster that depicted the future of graphics and a supporting piece of media (in the same visual language). The poster had to be in tone and include an image, some sort of expressive type and body text.
In this workshop I was experimenting using different filters and colour modes on isolated images. This workshop helped me learn the skills I needed to create my poster, I had never used duotone before or posterise. I started by removing the background of the image. I found this quite difficult as I didn’t take the photo of the action figure on a plain background. Even if I had used a piece of plain paper this would of decreased the difficulty of removing the image. I played about with a couple of filters: inverse, posterise and threshold.
I also changed the colour made to grayscale. I liked how posterise made an effect like a screen print. Threshold took away too much of the detail away which made it unrecognisable to what it is. Inverse makes t.he image sort of ghost like effect.
I then experimented with layering using different images. At first I kept the same opacity. I used posterise on the character. It somehow makes him look like he has some sort of skin condition, but I still think it gives the image a flattened but realistic effect. The effect it’s self loosely reminds me of Shepard Fairey’s Barrack Obama “Hope” poster. The halftone effect on the finger reminds me or poor quality prints of photo in cheaply/home made publications, such as fanzines which were popular with fans of punk music and had an obviously scruffy look too it, this is a style of working that I like. I found it challenging the piece to duotone difficult to get both tones out because I wasn’t aware of the levels for this piece. Also the opacity has been played about with adding text and the union jack. I would but the flag behind the figure as it looks untidy on the shirt.
The next piece I was able to make more use of making the piece duotone as I knew about the levels and was able to add the second colour in. The two colours in this piece gives something that could be considered dull some sort of edge. The duotone gives a simplicity to a piece which would of had a lot of colour which can just can make a piece look cheap or be too much going on and distract from the actual content.
I don’t know what exactly was going though my mind while creating this piece. It could have been pig gate, that Matt asked us to a large sized image of an animal in this workshop (Photoshop/inDesign) and I chose a photo of a pig, the experiment I previously or most likely a combination of all the elements together.
After I created the image in Photoshop, I placed the image on to inDesign (using a 5mm bleed). I tried different placement of the two words, while also playing about with size of the type. I found on the gap at the bottom of the page was the best place as the text is just an after thought to the piece. The text over laps the bottom of the image to link them and show that the text wasn’t just plonked there. “Swine” is bigger as it seams more or the insult of the statement; as “dirty” acts more like a “the”.
Reacting to spoken text-
In these pieces I was trying to visually represent a phase taken from a video Steven Fry saying “So famous, simply for the way he dressed.” Fry’s accent is very proper and articulate (like he pronounced every letter in the word) so I tried to make every word clear and easy to read. Also because of this I used a more cursive hand as I always see this as having some sort of class compared to print type. I picked up that Fry put emphasis on “So Famous” and “He Dressed” so I tried to create the effect of this by putting a box around the words, making it larger and underlining them. I think that this has been effective on making the words stand out from the rest of them.
There was a gap between “for the way” and “he dressed” so I tried to represent this but I only think I managed this with only one as the other two’s pages are pretty full.
First Things First Manifesto
For theses experiments I was taking quotes directly from the First Things First Manifesto (both the 1964 and 2000 editions).
For the design on the left I was using the quote “A reversal of priorities in favour of more lasting forms of communication.” “Reversal” is spelt backwards, as if reversed, this was my attempt on a play of words I think this is would have been more effective if I had used a mirror image of the word. It would be easier read and look less like a spelling mistake or random letters.
On both pieces I have tried to playing about with increasing the sizes of the type with in the word. I thought this was most effective in “Debate” and “Expand”. Debate reminds me of a megaphone in shape and then expand is getting larger and is getting winder as well to create an effect of expanding. It also is effective on “shrinking”.
I like the effect that using an ink and a brush creates a rustic and genuine feel to it.