I planned out the layout for the design of the booklet.
I then refined the design more.
I decided that I wouldn’t use this lay out as the line length was too large for people to keep track of what they were reading.so I planned out again using columns. I also decided to use six columns when bringing the layouts into inDesign.
I think that the front on the front at that size is quite hard to read, I should of made the text smaller on the cover to improve readability. This would also increase space so I would be able to centre the logo.
The circle in the background doesn’t mean anything and is just a filler.
The subtitles aren’t constantly in the same alignment which looks untidy. This is the same with the body text size. The size of the font is different sizes as I found it hard to fit all of the text on to the page. This could be fixed with different kernings.
I first sketched out a number of different layouts for the type specimen in my sketchbook. I found that I had quite a few ideas came through quite easily. This was most likely because I was looking at examples of type specimens. I thought that possibly some of my ideas were too similar to the examples I was looking at.I took some of the ideas and brought them into Illustrator or InDesign. I used elements from some of my original. I don’t like the idea above, I think that the landscape is too vast and empty for my own personal liking.
I then experimented with layering of the type and flipping of it. I think that the laying makes it be too much and it is distracting from the typography and the actual form. I do like the text underneath the larger text body as I think there is something stylish and futuristic about it. I decided to bring in the flipped word element into this piece and keep this in the theme and have the top or bottom be both the top or bottom. This technique isn’t appropriate for a poster style piece as when the piece is printed out in A2 the viewer will have to move their head into uncomfortable angles.
This is my favourite of the designs, but I need to change some elements, of the piece. One way I will change the spelling of the font as I have missed out the second “U”. I will also reduce the size of the logo and the text body as they seam to merge into one.
This brief was to create three logos using type to reflect a client’s personality, without using colour. I found this brief a struggle, I found it hard to represent personality traits and accidentally ended up showing things that the person liked rather than his personalities.
The top right corner was to communicate the client was messy, this is the only one that is about part of his personality. The layering gives it an all over messy feel to it and it is also quite random like it has been scattered.
The restriction of not using any colour on the logos held me back some as the design in the bottom would of been improved with his second name being a different colour which would improve the clarity of the design.
Futura was designed by Paul Renner in 1927, in Germany. Renner was looking for “New Typography.” He was looking for a “Calming, abstract forms- that dispense of a handwritten movement- new shapes with tonal value.”(Paul Renner 1931, taken from “Thinking with Type” by Ellen Luton). Renner deeply criticized the Nazi’s cultural policy.
The font is a sans-serif font and has a equal stroke size for each part of the character. It is a geometric formed font style. It is easy to read as it is clear and simple. Futura is available in a number of weights and in italics. It is a “Honest expression of technical processes.”
Examples of Future in Use
Futura is one of the most popular fronts used professionally. It has been used in the logos of some the most famous brands including Hp and Domino’s pizza. It is also a popular typeface for album covers and film posters.
I looked at the Creative Review to work out what grid system the magazine used. I found that it mostly kept to a six grid system (occasionally 12 and sometimes less if no text is used).
Then in groups we scaled up one of the pages to create a large representation of the layout. This gave me more of a picture of how the guttering works as it’s quite small on the screen or in an actual context difficult to picture.